AUSTIN, Tex. – Homeless people as wireless transmitters.
A marketing agency touched off a wave of criticism and debate when it hired members of the local homeless population to walk around carrying mobile Wi-Fi devices, offering conferencegoers Internet access in exchange for donations.
BBH Labs, the innovation unit of the international marketing agency BBH, outfitted 13 volunteers from a homeless shelter with the devices, business cards and T-shirts bearing their names: “I’m Clarence, a 4G Hotspot.” They were told to go to the most densely packed areas of the conference, which has become a magnet for those who want to chase the latest in technology trends.
Read more on nytimes.com
This info graphic, created by Online MBA, show the demographics of social media users.
Some sites’ users are more demographically alike than others. One thing is the same for most social sites — college students, or those who have completed some college, represent the majority on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Digg and Reddit. Among Facebook users, 57% have completed some college, and 24% have earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree. Although, people 45 and older make up 46% of Facebook users.
This infographic showcase statistics about how much happens in just 60 seconds on the Internet!
Some of the interesting things are that 370,000 minutes of skype calls happen every 60 seconds, 90,000 Tweets, almost 700,000 Facebook status updates, 1500 new blog posts and over 6,000 images are uploaded to Flickr…
Continue reading on below for all the statistics from 60 Seconds On The Internet…
- Search engine Google serves more that 694,445 queries
- 6,600+ pictures are uploaded on Flickr
- 600 videos are uploaded on YouTube videos, amounting to 25+ hours of content
- 695,000 status updates, 79,364 wall posts and 510,040 comments on Facebook
- 70 New domains are registered
- 168,000,000+ emails are sent
- 320 new accounts and 98,000 tweets are generated on Social Networking site Twitter
- iPhone applications are downloaded more than13,000 times
- 20,000 new posts are published on Micro-blogging platform tumbler
- Popular web browser FireFox is downloaded more than 1700 times
- Popular blogging platform WordPress is downloaded more than 50 times
- WordPress Plugins aredownloaded more than 125 times
- 100 accounts are created on professional networking site LinkedIn
- 40 new Questions are asked on YahooAnswers.com
- 100+ questions are asked on Answers.com
- 1 new article is published on Associated Content, largest source of user generated content
- 1 new definition is added on UrbanDictionary.com
- 1,200+ new ads are created on Craigslist
- 370,000+ minutes of voice calls done by Skype users
- 13,000+ hours of music streaming is done by personalized Internet radio provider Pandora
- 1,600+ reads are made on Scribd, the largest social reading publishing company
At SXSW this weekend, Instagram chief executive Kevin Systrom announced that the hot photo-sharing mobile social media app has over 27 million registered users, according to reports at Wired and TechCrunch.
Tesco’s Homeplus virtual stores in subway stations have been greatly successful and generated considerable buzz. Users simply scan QR codes with their phones, and the products land in an online shopping cart. When the purchase is complete the products will be delivered same-day. The concept taps a market of hardworking Koreans who have limited time to shop. This QR code project is not only creative, it’s very useful, which is rare for QR codes.